About the Pastor…
We can tell you Pastor Andrew O’Neal has served as the pastor of Christ First since March of 2000. That he has a passion to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and a desire to see God work in hearts and homes to restore, rebuild and renew broken relationships. That he’s married to Lanette and he has four children (Stephen, Brannon, Caitrin and Maegan).
However, our Pastor is so much more! He’s a normal guy with a few idiosyncrasies just like you. He hates cats but owns one and dislikes potlucks but still organizes them for our church. He loves Southern Gospel Music and sings in our church quartet and finds the biscuits and gravy from Hardees to be divine. Learn more about him in the Q&A below…
Q&A With Pastor O’Neal…
- Cat or dog? Dog. Cats are evil.
- Beach or Mountain vacation? Beach, I don’t like the COLD.
- Star Wars or Star Trek? Star Wars…
- Mac or PC? All Mac. All the time. As 1Cor. 13:11 says, “When I was a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” (In the Greek, that is clearly a reference to PC’s.) #scholarship
- What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently? I recently concluded a wedding ceremony and introduced the couple with the bride’s last name rather than the groom’s. Yeah. Just keeping it classy.
- Are you a good bowler? Define good…Isn’t that a perception thing?
- What’s your favorite thing about being a Pastor? Least favorite thing? Favorite thing is preparing sermons. (I love studying.) Least favorite, Preparing anything else. (I don’t love administration.)
- Western or Eastern food? Gonna go with Western. Although I do really enjoy some (highly Westernized) Eastern cuisine (think “Panda Express”). At the end of the day, as long as it’s not pot-luck, I’m in!
- Republican or Democrat? I’m on the right side, let’s leave it at that.
- How did you meet your wife? In college. It took me a while to convince her that I was “the one.” Being the skinniest kid she had ever seen didn’t help. Breaking up with her for a while didn’t help either. I’m still not sure whether she married me out of pity or spite. Either way…and in every way…I am definitely the winner in the relationship!
- Who is your favorite preacher? Matt Chandler. Incredible testimony and a gifted communicator.
- What did you want to be when you were a kid? As a kid, I wanted to be: A famous singer…or drummer…or basketball player…or comedian…or actor…or President…when those things didn’t pan out, the pastorate was just the most obvious choice.
- What’s the weirdest job you ever had? I worked for a hog farmer when I was growing up in Iowa. Wasn’t necessarily the weirdest job…but it was definitely the worst smelling job I ever had. It still amazes me that pigs can smell so bad but bacon can smell soooooo good….
- Favorite Music Group: Gaither Vocal Band, The Cathedrals, Gold City, The Kingsmen and the Kingdom Heirs. Honorable Mention: Phillips, Craig and Dean. I also like me some Diamond Rio and Rascall Flatts as well as some Pentatonix. What can I say? I’m a harmony junkie!
- Favorite passage in the Bible? Romans 15:13 – Such an encouraging message of hope.
- Why is a tennis ball fuzzy? As a tennis aficionado and a connoisseur of fine tennis equipment, I am well qualified to answer this essential question…basically it has something to do with aerodynamics, a little bit to do with ergonomics and everything to do with economics.
- Have you been to Ireland? No. I’ve been to Chicago on St. Pat’s Day. That’s kinda like Ireland, only different. Right?
- If you were a cereal, what would you be? Really, someone asked that? Umm..I’d be Frosted Flakes because “Thhhhhhey’re Grrrreat!”
- If you could sing one song on American Idol, what would it be? “Roly Poly” by Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys (no, not those kind of playboys…) It’s a forgotten classic whose time has come to be rediscovered!
- Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer ? Is consumer an option?
- If you were on an island and could only bring 3 things, what would you bring? First, I’d bring my family. Second, I’d have provisions for as long as we wanted to stay (provisions include resort accomodations, fine dining, electricity and functioning indoor plumbing). Finally, A large enough boat (adequately fueled) to take us safely home!
- Do you believe in Big Foot? I believe in big feet!
- If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your children? Wear your sunblock! No really…
- How does the internet work? Wait…your internet works? #countrychurchproblems